Tuesday, October 5, 2010

This was my first attempt shooting RAW for one, which is totally rad, and it's also HDR, which is also rad. For more on HDR go here > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

This is 5 different shots taken at different exposures at one F-stop each (+2, +1, 0, -1, -2) and then merged using photoshop CS5. Unfortunately, when I converted the NEF to JPEG, I deleted the NEF files so I don't have the individual images to show precisely what it looked like before merging them. Again, I'll post a little more about that later. Though these are RAW, I didn't do any tone mapping on this image so the image is almost precisely what the eye would see. I did increase the vibrancy a little, but the only place that it shows is in the color of the sunlight.

There's a couple of ways that you can do this depending on your camera. My camera has auto-bracketing which makes things relatively easy. You simply select the number of exposures you want to take (2-9), and then snap away. For this I used 'continuous high', which means that as long as you hold the button, it will take pictures. I did that for 5 exposures but that can cause camera shake (you can resolve that by using a time lapse or bracketing burst).

If you don't have auto-bracketing, this can be done manually, and easily with the same results. Mount the camera on a tripod, and frame the shot, then take a series of shots at multiple exposures varying by whatever degree you choose. I think, personally, the best results come from 3 shots at 2 f-stops (+2, 0, -2).

No comments:

Post a Comment